Pauly on Tour

The boy from Waipuk having a look around.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Morocco.

I did a quick trip to Morroco on easter weekend. Sam and Scott and Becks had planned the trip for a while and at the last minute I couldn't bear the thought that they were goning to get good waves without me. (I've a bit of jealous streak showing there huh) They were staying out near the main surf destination in Morocco called Taghazout, but I could only get a flight to Marakech which is 3 hours drive inland, but luckly the surf wasn't so good that day so the boys came and picked me up. We were blessed with an amazing desert sunset on the drive to coast.


Morocco's coastline is stacked with point breaks and reefs so is great for surfing, while we were there the swell wasn't quite big enough to shine, but we did get some good waves. The best spot in the conditions we surfed was boilers, named so because the waves break across the boiler of a wrecked ship, so it was a cool spot to surf.

We decided to shift where we were staying to be closer to the ocean, and were living right in front of one of the best breaks in the area called Anchor point. Here is a little vid of me surfing at Boilers:
Surf Video MPG

Morocco was once a French colony, and this past culutral influence is still very present as well as the number of french tourists.
The locals are amazing linguists and most speak french as well as arabic, and in the touristic areas sufficient English. There is lots of poverty in the areas I saw, we kept a supply of lollies for the kids to watch our cars when we surfed. The seafood was great in the area, and the water seemed pretty clean in areas away from the citys.

There are old ruins everywhere which adds to the atmosphere of the place, Sam and Macca saw some craxy goats that love hanging out in trees.



On our last day a local guy came past with his Camel offering rides as I was just about to go for surf, so I couldn't resist the photo-op. Unfortunately we all got a stomach bug from the previous nights dinner (except old Sammy-Iron Guts), so this made the travel plans a bit more of a mission to put it lightly. Sam, Scott and Becks all flew out that afternoon from Agadir, but I was flying the next morning from Marrakech, so it was a 5 hour night bus ride and no toilet for me! Haha, well it had to be done and before the bus left I spent the afternoon relaxing on the beach watching the sun go down, and then went to a local barbers to trim the locks and get my first cut throat shave.

I met this cool little kitten that prefered playing with my backpack rather than going back to the french bakery owner. It turned out to be a fun trip despite the guts, and got chatting to a guy who takes tourists on trips through the desert which sounded amazing, so I think another trip will have to be done in the winter when the big swells are running. You can even surf in the morning and by the afternoon you can be snowboarding in the mountains.

Much love,

- Paul

4 Comments:

At 2:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is your Aunty Morag!!! We are at your Mum and Dad's for her birthday, Paul! Did you know about that? Not a decade one so you have a year to remember the next one. Great photo of the camel and you too of course. I think you were on Waimarama not Morocco! Glad you had a great trip but sad about the Delhi belly. Enjoyed the video and your Mum was surprised that you could surf so well! She remembers when she watched you fall off at Blackhead all the time.

Sarah is in Edinburgh and her email is sezbuz@hotmail.com

Lots of love from Uncle D and me xxxx and of course from the birthday girl and her husband.

 
At 7:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Paul,

Just checked out the blog. Good to see you've gotten some nice waves. I Also enjoyed the video. Awesome...but now I REALLY want to go surfing! I got some waves a while back in Rio but I was a bit unfit after so much time without surfing. I'm keen to go again soon. If not, then we will be back in NZ mid December to see family, friends and of course catch up on some surfing. Anyway, good to see you are making the most of your travels!

Cheers,
Brian

 
At 3:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How ya goin? spring is springing here.What you up to now?have you caught up with Sarah B yet?Cheerio Dad.

 
At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey fulla,
been showing the guys at Mimi a copy of your video in Morocco, they just come back from Bali and reckon they may have to head over that way now. Things all good in the north bar being bloody wet. Anyway mate got to go, John is loading up the boat and will go without me if I don't pull finger.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home